In March, Melissa from Happyquilting shared with us her disappearing (DP) 16 patch quilt-along. And I got obsessed with making some of my own. I've made 2 wall hangings, both as yet unquilted, so they are still WIP's. And am still having fun playing with variations and different blocks.
I had the perfect pieces to start with. A petit four of both Lovely and Central Park. So I dug thru my stash basket, looking for tone on tone prints to match. Here is what I came up with.
These were lots of fun to play with, and I decided to see what other fun designs I could come up with.
I dug thru my stash some more, looking for strips the same width, or close to the same width. I did some trimming and some sewing and come up with these.
I prefer using strips, as it's faster and easier. You sew 4 strips together, press and cut strips out of them.
I used some dark TonT's and some lights ones, mixed with light prints. I wanted the TonT's in the middle and 4 corners, so that I could do this.
Then these were cut on both diagonals, to make the DP16 patch.
I went back to the scrap basket, and found some light and some dark squares. I sewed two patches together.
Then sewed into 4 patches.
This is what I made. Some light blocks and dark blocks, instead of mixing them together..
Instead of cutting on both diagonals, I cut on just one. Then I matched a light side with a dark side.
I thought using just 2 colors would be fun also. This would make a great, bedsize quilt.
There is a variety of ways to set these. And lots of fun mixing them around, figuring out how you want them to look. I love the Sunkissed line, and decided it would go great with the first patches I showed you.
Here's a close-up.
And my second one, see how the TonT's make a nice frame around the prints? I've called this one Flowerboxes.
You can also set these like this, making that cute pinwheel in the middles.
And here is a few different ways to set the light/dark blocks. You can play around a lot with these.
The problem with this first one though, is once you get the half squares sewn together, the little corner blocks are smaller than the middle blocks. Which means seams wont match.
Or you can lay them out this way.
Here's another way you can do it. Makes a nice pinwheel in the middle. This is how I am doing mine. I'm going to keep this WIP going, adding to it as I make more squares. It makes a great leader/ender project, if your into that. And really uses up those little bits of fabric you just can't let go of.
You can use strips of any size. My R/B one is done using 1 3/4" strips. The petit fours are 2.5". I also used 2 1/4" squares. So it makes a great project to do with a jelly roll too!
Hope you enjoyed my 'obession'. I would love to see any DP16 patches you made. Leave me a comment with your blog name, so I can take a look.
Thanks for having me here Samm, I really enjoyed it!